Glamping Sussex and Woodland Courses
At Forest Garden Shovelstrode in Sussex we offer secluded glamping and woodland courses in our yurts and beautiful log cabins. The glamping site extends to approximately 6 acres, of which 3.5 acres is made up of ancient woodland. Since opening in 2010, the Forest Garden has taken shape and many guests have visited to either enjoy a yurt or cabin stay, or have taken part in one of our woodland courses. We offer a wide range of traditional woodland craft courses throughout the year
Our Forest Garden is an innovative and highly productive way of gardening where an open woodland ecosystem is created using a mix of both common and unusual plants, trees and shrubs, most of which are edible! Forest Garden Shovelstrode is the brainchild of Lisa Aitken and Charles Hooper who both share a passion for horticulture, self sufficiency and the firm belief in the need to preserve our heritage in traditional rural crafts for future generations. The project was conceived in 2009 whilst Charles was being filmed on the Greenwood episode of BBC TV’s programme Mastercrafts and Lisa was simultaneously learning about Forest Gardening.
We have four hand crafted cabins, Jacaranda, Orinoco and Anderida and Idaho all for course attendees! The beautifully designed cabins are and well insulated with wood burner to keep you warm all year round. All cabins are 6.4 x 3.6m in size and include
- Mezzanine level reached via a ladder where you will find comfortable double bed which sleeps 2 people
- Downstairs is an open plan living room area
- Wood burning stove
- Double sofa bed that can sleep an additional 2 people (bed linen charges apply – see extras)
- Kitchen/dining area with twin gas burner
- Cupboards containing all the necessary pots, pans and cutlery, crockery that you should need
Outside there is a
- Covered deck space
- Table and benches for outdoor eating
- Large open outdoor fire-pit and BBQ are outside the cabin
Kushti yurt is a traditional Mongolian ‘Ger’ or Yurt with hand painted roof poles and is 5.9 metres in diameter. It is furnished with ethnic textiles and furniture with a central wood burner and it has a wonderful warm and romantic feel about it.
Kushti sleeps 2 on one double futon and there is also a small futon sofa.
The double futon bed is supplied complete with duvet & linen
Savannah yurt is 6 metres in diameter and is made locally using coppiced ash, hazel and chestnut. It is furnished with sheepskin rugs, leopard print throws and has a distinctly ‘Out of Africa’ feel to it. A wood burning stove will keep you toasty warm at night.
There is a large decked area outside allowing guests to enjoy the peace of the woodland. There’s a big picnic table below the deck and beside the large fire-pit. There is a BBQ and locally produced charcoal is available from the Forest Garden Shop.
Savannah sleeps 4 to 5 people in one double futon which is laid out and made up as a double bed. There is also a futon sofa that can be pulled out to make another double bed. There is an additional futon sofa that can be converted to a single bed. (additional bedding charges apply – see extras)
EXTRAS – Please contact us for more information/pricing
Please note that the cabin includes 1 x double bed complete with full bed linen. Additional bed linen can be ordered in advance for £25/set (see extras) or you can bring your own bedding. Optional extras include
- Extra Bedding: Duvet, Pillows & Linen @ £25 per set
- Woodland Courses: Regular or Bespoke courses in Green woodworking and Country Crafts (min 3 person)
- Holistic massages
- Forest Garden Produce
- Traditional tea parties
- Breakfast (available only on Saturday & Sunday). To be booked at least 24 hours in advance. Please contact us.
ITEMS YOU MAY WISH TO BRING
Torches, wellies, slippers, fire lighters, towels, insect repellent, sun cream, extra outdoor camping lights.
Woodland Courses include
GREAT FOR GROUPS including
- Ashurst Wood just a mile away is our closest village with convenience store, butcher and pub
- Forest Row, just 2 miles away on the outskirts of Ashdown Forest (5 minutes from Forest Garden Shovelstrode). Here you will find a few pubs, a couple of excellent delicatessens, Fishmongers organic food shop, camping shop and more. There is an excellent Pizza restaurant called Java and Jazz and Tablehurst, biodynamic farm and farmshop which also has a good cafe
- East Grinstead is 2.5 miles away. An ancient market town with one of the longest runs of 14th Century timber framed buildings in the country
- Ashdown Forest is 4 miles away
- Ashdown Forest Llama Park is 5 miles
- Lewes with lots of antique shops is 15 miles away
- Tunbridge Wells is 12 miles away. This historic and beautiful Spa Town has much to offer with great shopping and a wide selection of high quality places to eat
- Brighton is 27 miles away. Visit the north and south Laines, a mass of small shops and restaurants
From £285 for a Weekend Break
We regret that pets are not allowed on site.
DISCLAIMER The information displayed about this business is a advertisement. Love Glamping makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information. The information on this business is provided and by the business named on this page.