Cotna Eco Retreats is an organic smallholding on the quiet Roseland Peninsula in Cornwall. Within walking distance of the sea in our secret green valley you will be able to reconnect with nature and wildlife and know that your holiday is low-impact and sustainable. Stay in one of our yurts, cosy shepherd’s hut or unique strawbale studio. Walk off-road and through woodland to some of South Cornwall’s most beautiful beaches, enjoy our home-made organic food hampers or visit excellent local cafes & restaurants. Cotna is close to the traditional Cornish village of Gorran Haven and the authentic fishing village of Mevagissey.
Here at Cotna we live a low-impact, green and sustainable way of life in a stunningly beautiful place. We produce green solar and wind energy and our water supply is from a natural spring supplying pure Cornish spring-water. We use our own wood, recycle through our compost bins and eco compost loos and produce delicious organic fruit & vegetables.
At Cotna Eco Retreats you can learn about foraging, seasonal cooking and no-dig gardening on our land-based courses or take a personal retreat or meditation break.
Our three yurts are perfect for those who want accommodation that allows them to have a break from busy modern life while keeping a sense of space and luxury. Named after local apple varieties our three yurts sit in a sheltered but sunny combe contained by ancient Cornish stone hedges, woodland and a willow-lined stream. From your yurt you’ll tune into birdsong, eat under the stars, wander through the woods and unwind close to nature, enjoying the simple life. Yet with the luxury of glamping in a comfy bed with a kitchen & cooking equipment, dining table and a woodburner.
Gilliflower Yurt – sleeps 1 to 3 people
This yurt is the most secluded for retreats. Decorated with an original Mongolian tension-band it contains a hand-made double bed made from Cotna elm as well as a single mattress. It is set in its own orchard overlooking 4 acres of woodland with a footpath & stream leading down to the sea.
Tregonna King Yurt – sleeps 2-4 people (5 on request)
Beautifully decorated with blue Indian silks and stripped back reclaimed furniture it is a good family sized space. It is nestled in by our woodland, surrounded by wildlife and apple trees and catching the warm evening sun.
Fern Pippin – sleeps 2 to 4 adults (5 on request)
Beautifully decorated with Indian silks in pinks and greens and chalk-painted furniture. It is a good family sized space next to the stream, catching the morning sun and sheltered by hedges and willow.
Each yurt also has its own…
Compost toilet and hot shower outdoors with a sink, picnic table and firebowl
Our shepherd’s hut offers the romantic dream of a simple life in a step up from camping. Ismay, our shepherd’s hut sits in its own little garden by the stream where you can sit by a campfire, watch the night sky and connect with the spirit of the land. With the double bed and extra bunk you’ll feel cosy as a pea in a pod. And you have your own kitchen shed and fire-bowl to cook on.
THE STRAW BALE STUDIO
The studio feels like a rustic home from home. Pengelly straw-bale barn is ideal for those wanting something different from a traditional holiday cottage. It has the continental feel of Tuscany with its ochre lime-washed walls, hand-crafted kitchen, huge woodburner, and large sunny deck overlooking the orchard.
We offer a range of cooking & growing class experiences to take back home with you.
Growing and eating delicious food is at the core of our life at Cotna Eco Retreat, and we hope you get to experience the taste of our fresh organic food during your stay. Seasonal & home produced vegetarian and vegan food and hampers are available including sourdough bread, salads, pesto & passata, jams, chutneys & vinegars, juice & cordials.
HAMPERS available for sale include
- Taste of Cotna Hampers
- Farmhouse Breakfast Hamper – Sourdough bread, organic eggs, home-made jam, oatmilk, butter, Cotna apple juice & seasonal fruit or leaves
- More Raw Breakfast Hamper – Home-made sourdough & muesli, vegan fruit kefir, oat milk, seasonal fruit &
- Cotna apple juice
- Italian Hamper – Ingredients for an Italian feast, including home-made pesto or passata, salad and nibbles
- Late Arrival Hamper – Veggie or Vegan – Sourdough bread, salad, selection of snacks including cheese or home-made hummus
- Indian Hamper – All you need to cook a delicious South Indian curry, including organic veg, spices & a simple recipe
- Garden Taster Hamper – Make up your own order of seasonal fruit and veg picked from the garden
Cotna Eco Retreat provides a supportive and friendly space for people to come on retreat and connect back to earth and the elements. Straw bale Studio, Gilliflower woodland yurt and Ismay Shepherd’s are good for solitary spiritual retreats, writer’s retreats or quiet reflective breaks.October – April tend to be the quietest time to be here, although life here always runs at a gentle pace with other guests or volunteers on site. We can supply most food, and always do our best to meet any other requests you have, respecting silence where appropriate. For many people, being on an organic farm that works in harmony with nature can add to the experience of being on retreat, although you are not in complete isolation and may come across people around the place quietly getting on with things!
Please contact us for further details
OUR LOCAL AREA
Away from the crowds we’re ideally situated for exploring South Cornwall’s beautiful landscape with its quiet sandy beaches, the South West Coast Path. We are surrounded by beautiful scenery and the best way to experience it is on foot.
Our Ten Great Walks from Cotna include
- Portmellon – Shortest route to the sea, Rising Sun Inn, The Shack and Paddle Shed
- Best Coastpath Circular (Port Mellon, Chapel Point, Colonna Beach & Gorran Haven)
- Sanctuary Wood, Galowras Mill, Scotland Wood Circular
- To the Rising Sun pub at Portmellon Circular (Through Penwarne)
- Mevagissey Through the Fields
- Chapel Point, Colonna Beach, Old Walls & Bodrugan Circular
- Gorran Haven to Vault Beach on Coast Path, Lamledra, Treveague Circular
- Treveague, Dodman, Hemmick Beach, Penare Circular
- The Fully Monty All Day Circular (Portmellon, Chapel Point, Colonna Beach, Gorran Haven, Vault Beach, Dodman
- Point, Hemmick Beach, Porthluney, Carhayes, Tregavarras, Gorran)
- The Full Monty 6 beaches All Day Circular (Portmellon, Chapel Point, Colonna Beach, Gorran Haven, Vault Beach, Dodman Point, Hemmick Beach, Porthluney Beach, Caerhayes, Tregavarras, Gorran)
Yurts and Straw Bale Studio from £255 for 3 nights or £800 per week
Shepherd’s Hut starts from £180 for 3 nights
Retreats from £250 per week
Check-in days are Friday or Monday for stays of 3, 5 or 7 nights