Glamping South Devon
Down a little lane with nothing but a farm, fields and footpaths beyond, Collaton Farm is a rural hideaway 15 minutes’ drive from the historic harbour town of Dartmouth in south Devon. Snug into a field with outstanding views down the valley is our new Safari tent “Semira”. Beds are made up ready for you with towels. With such a comfy place to call home – and such lovely countryside to dive into right from the site – you may feel the urge to set your car keys aside for a while. Central heating, fully kitted-out kitchen and living areas, TV, king and double bedrooms with memory foam mattresses and a shower that lets you choose monsoon or massage settings – there’s not a hint of roughing it here.
- Semira sleeps 4 people and well behaved dogs at an additional charge, please bring your own dog beds.
- There is a fully fitted kitchen with gas hob / microwave / fridge / toaster / kettle. All utensils and essentials for cooking.
- Bathroom has shower sink and toilet with sensor lighting. The shower can be used as a shower or steam room. Fully enclosed with sliding doors and separate from bedrooms.
- Bedroom 1 is King size bed with memory foam mattress / anti allergen pillows and quilts with cotton sheets. Two bedside tables with lights.
- Bedroom 2 is a double bed with the same attention to detail as the King-size.
- Living Area is large with access to the glass veranda which is 12mm safety glass. The living room has a table and benches for 4 people / large comfy leather / fabric sofa with cushions and throws for chilly evenings. A pouf and relaxing easy chair with floor rugs and an Electric fan assisted wood burner type heater.
- “Semira” has instantaneous hot water in the bathroom and kitchen and the outside boiler also heats the 3 room radiators and towel rail in the bathroom
- All operated from a thermostat.
- On the veranda you have stunning views down the valley and seating with a table to enjoy those relaxing days and evenings. The glass balustrade helps keep the breezes at bay.
- Just below the tent is a large patio area surrounded by a Devon bank. Here you can sunbathe / barbeque and enjoy the fire-pit.
Pick up all your provisions, including fresh-off-the-boat seafood, in Dartmouth and surrounding local shops. You can also arrange for a breakfast package or seasonal veggies to be waiting for you on arrival. You can park your car on the farm or next to the tent.
Drive north for around 30 minutes to reach the moors and tors of Dartmoor National Park, or head south for around 15 minutes to half an hour to hit the coast and a string of sandy beaches from Blackpool Sands down to Salcombe and round to Bantham.
For the times you don’t fancy cooking, you could take a 45-minute stroll through the valley to reach the village pub in Blackawton or order a take away. A drive of 15 minutes to Dittisham with fine dining at the riverside pub or famed Anchorstone café.
Catch the Ferries from Dartmouth to visit Dittisham and Agatha Christies Greenway House and gardens.
The surrounding countryside is full of footpaths and bridal paths and abundant with wildlife. Peaceful, no traffic noise and great for stargazing from the Tent Veranda.
This is great dog walking country. At the top of the lane is a courtesy stop for the local bus that travels between Totnes / Kingsbridge and Dartmouth.
“Semira” is fresh on the market launched in late March 2021, the interior is superb and luxurious and a cosy place for 4 to relax.
There’s enough great countryside and coast all around Collaton Farm to keep you busy for the whole of your stay. Messing about on the river Dart is a favourite pastime, or you could nip across on the ferry from Dartmouth to Kingswear and go for a jaunt on the Dartmouth Steam Railway.
To see the sights of south Devon by bike or on horseback, check out the cycle hire options in Kingsbridge (15 minutes) or Salcombe (25 minutes) and equestrian centres at the edge of Dartmoor (30 minutes). There are plenty of watersports providers in Salcombe too, or you could just chill out on the beach (or take a visit to the gin distillery for a locally produced tipple…)
Five minutes down the road from the site is Woodlands Leisure Park, plus Dartmouth Golf Club and Spa. For shopping with an ethical, eco-vibe head to the historic market town of Totnes (15 minutes’ drive). Or if haggling for antiques is up your street, a visit to Ashburton (30 minutes) should also be on your list.
For those of you with an Equestrian interest, behind your tent is a 60m x 30m ménage and we have horses training often in progress. You may be lucky to see our Shire Horse Arabella going through her dressage training.
Semira our tent is manufactured by Outstanding tents from Holland and designed for strength and durability, we have had winds with gusts up to 80 MPH and with the extra Gail breaker mesh for the winter, has proven to more than live up to expectations.
3 nights £450 May till September 3 nights £300 April 3 nights £300 October
7 Nights £890 May till September 7 nights £600 April 7 nights £600 October
5 nights £650 May till September 5 nights £490 April 5 nights £490 October