Glamping Devon with Hot Tub
Brownscombe in South Hams, Devon offers glamping on our family farm within idyllic surroundings. With lush green pastures the unadulterated night skies offer the chance to truly unwind and escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. In the words of one of our guests “the comfiest beds that we have ever slept in, the best views we’ve woken up to and the kindest hosts you could wish for“, come and experience it for yourself!
Brownscombe has stayed true to its rustic roots, with pigs, sheep, chickens and ducks roaming around, but our glamping meadow is now full of wildflowers creating the perfect playground for little people to run around in and to give them a taste of country life. We’ve taken the romantic country charm of our special piece of Devon, and added a generous sprinkling of luxury and indulgence, creating what we hope will be the perfect family holiday or romantic getaway.
No midnight treks to the loos or washing up in cold water here. Our lodges all have their own kitchens and bathrooms, hot running water, the comfiest beds and wood burning stoves to keep you toasty warm. We’ve thought of everything so that all you’ll need to do is sit back and enjoy your stay. There’s even a little shop on site, the Brownscombe larder.
We are only four miles away from several award winning beaches in Torbay, we’re close to Dartmoor, and we have a fantastic collection of National Trust properties, gardens and cliff walks for you to explore. There’s so much choice.
The Tabernacle is tucked into a dip on the side of the hill and is in its own meadow and is separate from the three safari tents on site. You will be whisked up to the Tabernacle by Landrover. Our Brownscombe Tabernacle is utterly endearing with its stained glass window and tiny bell tower and is based on the historic design of the traditional ‘tin tabernacles’, once used by Methodist preachers throughout the South West. Couples can cosy up inside with a hot chocolate by the wood burning stove, or relax outside with a glass of bubbly in the wood-fired hot tub. Inside….
- Pretty porch leads into an open-plan living space which is small but perfectly formed
- Built in bed, with plenty of storage for clothes
- Roberts radio
- Rocking chair next to the stove
- Hand built kitchen (including a sink, two ring induction hob and fridge with ice box)
- Sweet woodland wallpaper
- Vintage furniture
- Fitted shower room with a flushing loo and washbasin (hot water on tap, of course)
OUTSIDE is a decked area with two Adirondack chairs and a dining area leading to the HOT TUB. Watch the sun set while sipping bubbly in the hot tub, or lie back in comfy garden chairs with a fire crackling in the barbecue fire pit and gaze at stars so bright they’ll take your breath away.
Nestled in it’s own secluded corner of Brownscombe, our cabin is the perfect secret hideaway. Completely private, it has stunning views up the valley to the copse, where Roe deer are often seen. Bring your binoculars. the cabin is immaculately decorated with a blend of beautiful textures and wood, nautical references, and Brownscombe’s trademark attention to detail. The cabin is perfect for a romantic break, but it’s also spacious enough for a family and includes
- Separate master bedroom luxurious Egyptian cotton bedding
- Plenty of storage for clothes, a Roberts radio, plug points and usb sockets
- Built in bunk beds. Pull out the ladder, draw the curtains and the kids can create their own private dens, with porthole windows at the end of each bunk completing the sense of a boat at sea
- Wood burner
- Table and two chairs and stools
- Fully equipped kitchen (including induction hob, Belfast sink and fridge with icebox)
- Through a sliding door is a luxurious bathroom, dominated by its stunning copper bath – deep, luxurious and definitely big enough for two.Or if you want to get even closer to nature, the whole bathroom wall opens out to form a clever privacy screen, and you can bathe in the open air
OUTSIDE is a covered decked porch where you can eat al fresco whatever the weather or stargaze from the large bench. You can also lie back in designer garden chairs around the barbeque fire pit (we’ll supply the wood). Toast marshmallows, sip a hot chocolate, or just enjoy watching the sun set and the stars sparkle.
There is also room for an infant in a travel cot and one well-behaved dog.
Nestled on the slopes of a two acre field full of buttercups, our three luxury canvas lodges, Bovey, Dart and Tamar are perfect for families and friends sleeping six. Each tent faces in a slightly different direction to make the most of the awesome views with plenty of space between each one, ensuring your privacy. You don’t have to talk to your neighbours if you don’t want to – but it probably won’t be long before your children make friends and you’re all getting together, sipping wine and toasting marshmallows over the fire pits provided for each tent. The site is car-free for total tranquillity, once you have unloaded your car outside of your tent and returned it to the car park – no need for wheel barrows, unless the children insist!
- Two bedrooms, a double and a twin plus the sweetest cabin bed in the living area
- Sumptuous bed linens
- Socket to charge your phone or to use a hairdryer, next to the bedside light
- Sitting area features a day bed piled high with cushions
- Roomy dining space
- Cooking area kitted out with everything you’ll need including hot and cold running water, a larder fridge, electric hob and a large, log-fired range for both cooking and heating
- En suite shower-room has piping hot water with organic paraben free hair and body wash products
- Cloakroom with a proper flushing loo and a wash-basin with delicious handmade Cornish soap and hand cream
OUTSIDE Each safari tent is built on a raised platform, with a huge timber deck. There’s plenty of space to kick back and relax on the Adirondack chairs. Read a book, nap, sip a coffee or do nothing but stare up at the sky, watching the scudding clouds or, at night, the twinkling stars (no light pollution here). At dusk you may spot the barn owl hunting in the valley or catch a glimpse of a deer in the early morning mists.
- HOT TUB available £25 /night in Bovey and Tamar (including all wood)
- Timber deck with seating
- Picnic table and bench
- Fire-pit barbecue (initial supply of firewood)
Dogs welcome in two out of three tents (2 dogs over 1 year)
BROWNSCOMBE LARDER AND LODGE
Brownscombe larder is our little onsite honesty shop and we stock a small range of camping essentials, delicious local produce, drinks, picnic snacks and ice creams. Order your food from our menu the night before and get the kids to pick up your breakfast in the morning, according to our guests feedback “Kate’s cooking is highly recommended” “absolutely scrummy casserole, breakfast and bbq!” and “the morning croissants are yum!”. Meals that serve 4 adults would also feed 2 adults and 3 children, as they are generous portions. Please advise us of any allergies or if you would like the vegetarian option on ordering. Example Larder Menu and depending on season includes
Beef Potjie, Campfire Cassoulet, Brownscombe Sausage Pasta, Irish Stew, Mediterranean Lamb with roasted vegetable couscous, Racelette, Fondue, BBQ Baskets, Breakfast Hampers,
Do you have a special occasion to celebrate? You can arrange for Roses (posy of 3 picked from Brownscombe gardens), 750ml bottle of Veuve Cliquot Champagne and Brownscombe fudge to be waiting for you on arrival in your accommodation or in the Lodge for dinner.
THINGS TO DO ON SITE
- Meet the Farm Animals
- The Den – a play area hidden under the Ash trees at the bottom of the meadow
- Football Cricket, Rounders and Frisby Pitch – Watch from your deck or join in the fun!
- Go Kart, Scooter and Bikes are available for the children to use in the field and the car-free lane but we don’t provide helmets, so please bring ant safety equipment that you would like them to use
- On rainy days there’s always the games room to fall back on, where table tennis, pool and table football will keep guests of all ages occupied. There is also a dolls house full of sylvanians and a desk with colouring pencils and a whole library of disney dvd’s for rainy days!
- If you get up early, you might catch a glimpse of a deer in the early morning mists of the valley. In fact, the wildlife here is amazing: rabbits, foxes, badgers and many types of wild bird, including the rare cirl bunting. At night, drift off to sleep listening to the Tawny owls or catch a glimpse of the barn owl as it hunts at dusk
Conveniently located just a few miles from the sea and only around five miles from Totnes and Torbay, Brownscombe is a great base from which to explore beautiful Devon.
There is so much to do in and around the local area you’ll never be short of inspiration when planning your days out. Here are a few ideas…..
- Explore the coast including taking lower ferry to Dartmouth from Kingswear and then enjoy Blackpool sands beach
- Dog friendly beaches at South Milton Sands and more locally at Oddicombe
- Surfing at Bigbury and Bantham or try standup paddle boarding at Meadfoot in Torbay
- Castles and Country Houses including a short walk to Compton Castle or a short drive to Dartmouth Castle, Totnes Castle and Berry Pomeroy Castle
- Take a river-boat and steam railway trip between Totnes and Dartmouth- both towns offer a fab day out shopping and exploring their castles
- Ashburton is a must for antique shops
- Local walks above Compton Castle, Haytor on Dartmoor and Cliff walks from The
- Bolberry head to Soar Mill Cove
- Go crabbing at nearby Stoke Gabriel
- Paignton and Dartmoor Zoos
- Plymouth Aquarium
- Creally Adventure Park in Exeter
- Woodlands Leisure Park
Short Breaks from £294
Weekly Breaks from £552 to £795
Short Breaks from £352
Weekly Breaks from £662 to £954
Short Breaks from £499 to £856
Weekly Breaks from £750 to £1395